Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

Just crafting around.....

So - this holiday weekend I decided it was high time to get a few projects done that I have been wanting to do for quite some time now.  I told my daughter a very long time ago I would make her a cushioned window seat for her room.  So I finally broke down, bit the bullet, spent the money and here is what we came up with.  This is the before picture a plain old white cutout by the window....



And this is the after shot........


To start this project I had to have two boards cut to 1/2 the size of the sitting area.  I wanted to do just one big board, but I had some pressed plywood laying around so I decided to use that.  Plus I figured it would be a bit easier to manuvere the fabric mounting if it was in two pieces.

Let me say - I do not recommed using pressed plywood (I'm not sure if that's what it is really called, but I heard the term pressed so that's what I'm going with).  Basically the material was too hard to get a staple gun to go into it to hold the fabric so I highly recommed using just regular plywood.  Staples like that much better.

After getting the wood pieces cut - I then cut 3" foam to match each piece and sprayed adhesive glue to hold in place.  (Quick tip: spray the adhesive down first and put the foam on.  When dry turn over and cut the foam that is not needed for the board.  That way you get a perfect match to your board).  Then, we put the fabric on and folded underneath and ta-da.....you have one custom made (fabric to match the bedspread) window seat.

To hold the fabric in place staples will work fine as long as you have regular wood.  For me it was spray adhesive, duck tape, and a couple of prayers....lol.  Still looking for that "right" thing to keep it in place, but I will find it. 

And for the pillows - here's a neat and inexpensive idea.....For those of you who frequent rummage sales - the next time you see an ulgy pillow that still has it's fluff....pick it up.  Then repurose it with your own fabric - stuffing the old pillow into your "cover".  This way you still get a great looking pillow but you don't have to pay all that money for the fluff inside.

Thanks for stopping to take a look and I hope you are all enjoying your holiday weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment